Thijs van Vugt
Director Analytics and Consulting Team at StudyPortals
Thijs van Vugt is Director Analytics and Consulting Team at StudyPortals since 2015 and partner of iE&D Solutions BV since 2006. Some of his recent clients are: University of London, Karolisnka Institute, University of Groningn, Utrecht University, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Jönköping University, Uppsala University, VU University Amsterdam, Radboud University, University of Twente, University of the Arctic, Tromsø University, College of Europe and NHTV Breda University. From 1989 until 2005 Thijs worked for Tilburg University (14 yrs; NL), the ERASMUS Bureau in Brussels and for Sheffield Hallam University (1.5 yrs; UK)
Thijs is the founder of the Professional Section on Marketing & Recruitment of the European Association for International Education (EAIE). He was the chair of M&R from 2002 until 2008 and was a member of EAIE’s Executive Board from 2004 until 2008. In 2006 he published a book on The Impact of Tuition Fees on International Student Recruitment and in September 2009, Thijs was awarded the Bo Gregersen Award for Best Practice of the EAIE.
Together with his business partner, René Lenssen, Thijs was partner & director of StudyWorld (Netherlands), the Netherlands leading student recruitment agency and one of two IELTS test centres in the Netherlands, from 2006 until 2009, when it was sold to Kilroy Education.
Thijs has a Master’s degree in Economics from Tilburg University, a post-graduate certificate in Public Management from TiasNimbas Business School, and a post-graduate certificate in Customer Relationship Management (CRM) from Beeckestijn Business School.
- Knasys, Mykolas & Thijs van Vugt, CRM Systems in Higher Education. The guide to selecting a CRM system for higher education institution, StudyPortals & iE&D Solutions, July 2015
- Doetjes, Michiel, Julian Longbottom & Thijs van Vugt, Number Crunching for Effective M&R, in EAIE Forum Winter 2013, December 2013
- Badde, Markus, Tim Rogers & Thijs van Vugt International Student Recruitment: the Role of Agents in the Competitive Market, in Handbook Internationalization of European Higher Education, July 2012, Raabe Academic Publishers, 2012
- Van Vugt, Thijs, Retaining not Replacing, in EAIE Forum, Summer 2010, July 2010
- Van Rooijen, Maurits, Arnold Persoon & Thijs van Vugt (ed.), Marketing your Institution Internationally, EAIE Professional Development Series, 2008
- Rogers, Tim & Thijs van Vugt, The Impact of Tuition Fees on International Student Recruitment, EAIE Occasional Paper 19, 2006
- Van Vugt, Thijs, Taking Learning to Greater Heights: Dutch Higher Education is Among the Best in The World, Gulf News Special Report: The Netherlands, Dubai, September 2006
- Huijbers, Pieter & Thijs van Vugt, Service Blue Printing for International Education, EAIE Forum, April 2006
- Van Vugt, Thijs, Why More International Postgraduate Students are Choosing to Study in the Netherlands, Top Grad School Guide 2005, QS, London 2004
- Rogers, Tim & Thijs van Vugt, Changing the European Map: Opportunities for Postgraduate Students Since Bologna, Top Grad School Guide 2004 & 2005, QS, London 2005
- Richards, Greg & Thijs van Vugt, Student Experiences of Study Abroad, in European Tourism and Leisure Education: Trends and Prospects (ed. Greg Richards), Tilburg University Press, 1995
- Richards, Greg & Thijs van Vugt, Toerisme- en Vrijetijdsonderwijs Europeaniseert, Recreatie & Toerisme, March 1995